Re: [whatwg] Checkboxes that control other checkboxes

From: Michael A. Puls II <shadow2531@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 09:33:06 -0500
To: "Timo Beermann" <timo.beermann@googlemail.com>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: whatwg@whatwg.org
On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 19:51:39 -0500, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011, Timo Beermann wrote:
>> It should be able to implemet checkboxes, where by only
>> activating/deactivating this single checkbox you can active/deactivate
>> multiple other checkboxes. That is possible with scripting today, but it
>> should be possible without scripting, only with HTML/CSS. Because some
>> users deactivate Scripting (for security or whatever other reason) and
>> on other computers (school, university, work,...) you are not able to
>> change the settings, even if you want to. E.g. I use NoScript and only
>> allow scripting on very few trusted sites, that really need it.
> I haven't added this yet, but it is already logged as a possible future
> extension, so it's possible it may be added in the future.
> What would be helpful though is examples of sites that do this kind of
> thing, so that we can study how necessary it is, and how to implement it.
> For instance, are the dependent fields always in a <fieldset>? Are they
> always other checkboxes? Is there more complex logic than just "check box
> A is checked so those controls are enabled"?

My non-web use-case is with
(options.html in the unzipped package). I *disable* a checkbox when
another checkbox is checked. I just use addEventListener('input') and
check for e.target.checked to decide what to do.

However, it'd be cool if there were @disables and @enables for checkboxes
(at least) where you can specify a list of controls (that match @name I
guess). Those controls would still fire 'input' and 'change'.

In my case, since I'm already using JS, it's no biggie, but it'd still be
cool to do that part without JS.