(unknown charset) [whatwg] Localisation of form fields

From: (unknown charset) Bronislav Klučka <Bronislav.Klucka@bauglir.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 12:22:24 +0200

On 7.5.2012 12:11, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Bronislav Klu?ka
> <Bronislav.Klucka at bauglir.com>  wrote:
>> I can see you are pushing for CSS because of presentation level, but
>> 1/ you need to display currency or number, what would you do?
>> ',';">123.22</span>
>> something like that? I can see that, but would be better something like
>> <data role=number value=123.22 style="format-type: number;
>> format-decimal-separator: ',';" />
>> <data role=currency value=2.22 char=$ style="format-type: number;
>> format-decimal-separator: ','; format-currency-format: 2" />
>> this could enhance machine processing capabilities.
> Compare:
>
> http://wiki.csswg.org/ideas/content-formatting
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Mar/0575.html
>
> --
> Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

This was not about CSS properties (i just chose some names), it's about
the fact, that CSS will only give you presentation, but this is about
data, data with specific meaning (number, currency) and how to specify
them one way and let those data be displayed localized... it would seem
like a semantic loss not to use this text property - that it is specific
data, something with clear semantics, not just some set of characters.

There can be number, currency, phone number, IP address...

Brona.