[whatwg] classList should perhaps move from HTMLElement to Element

From: Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 10:17:38 +0200
On Thu, 03 May 2012 02:31:40 +0200, Cameron McCormack <cam at mcc.id.au>
wrote:

> Rik Cabanier:
>> There was a discussion in the SVG WG about dropping the
>> SVGAnimatedxxx objects and have replace them with regular values. We
>> would need some tricks so we can change the DOM, but make it
>> backward compatible at the same time.
>
> We have discussed this a few times, and I would desparately love for it
> to work, but I am unconvinced it will.  I can an imagine an author
> writing code like:
>
>    if (!elt.className) ...
>
> to test if a class has been set.  Even if we made the
> SVGElement.className SVGAnimatedString object one that stringifies to
> the class, add a [PutForwards] on to it so that assigning a string
> works, it would still break the above code, since the ! operator always
> returns false for an object.

I don't think the use of animated 'class' attributes in svg is all that
common, and I'd favor an approach that'd makes .className in svg a bit
more like the html .className, perhaps in the way Cameron is suggesting.

On the topic of which interface the .classList property should be in,
Element seems better than HTMLElement.

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group