[whatwg] cloneNode and HTML elements

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:56:28 +0200
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 07:26:06 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:

> If you call cloneNode on a media element, the state of the resulting
> media
> element seems unspecified. Should it be playing the same media resource
> at
> the same current time as the original?
>
> Similar questions arise when you clone form elements; is the state that's
> not visible in the DOM cloned?
>
> Who should be responsible for defining this?
>
> Rob

In my opinion, expecting the cloned MediaElement to retain all of its
state is more work to implement and not really worth it. I don't know
where it should be defined, but think the best behavior would be to just
clone the content attributes. In other words, you'd get a media element in
state NETWORK_EMPTY/HAVE_NOTHING which would start resource selection when
you insert it into a document.

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer