[whatwg] Annotating structured data that HTML has no semantics for

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 11:25:40 -0700

On May 14, 2009, at 5:18 AM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> So much concern about generating RDF, makes one wonder why we didn't
> just implement RDFa...

If it's possible to produce RDF triples from microdata, and if RDF
triples of interest can be expressed with microdata, why does it
matter if the concrete syntax is the same as RDFa? Isn't the important
thing about RDF the data model, not the surface syntax?

(I understand that if the microdata syntax offered no advantages over
RDFa, then it would be a wasted effort to diverge. But my impression
is that you'd object to anything that isn't exactly identical to RDFa,
even if it can easily be used in the same way.)

Regards,
Maciej