[whatwg] Text Encoding used to decode appcache manifest

From: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:19:32 +0300

20.03.2009, ? 1:43, Anne van Kesteren ???????(?):

> Can we get away with not following Content-Type at all? As we do for
> text/event-stream and text/cache-manifest. Both which simply require
> UTF-8.

Good point - but to the contrary, I think that charset from Content-
Type should be always honored, adding special cases is an unnecessary
complication.

Formally, a proxy can re-encode any text/* resource and expect the
client to honor Content-Type charset over <meta> and built-in
preconceptions, although I think that such proxies are extremely rare
in this millennium.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov