[whatwg] Codecs for <audio> and <video>

From: David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:00:18 +0100
2009/8/11 Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net>:
> Am Dienstag, den 11.08.2009, 00:44 +0100 schrieb Sam Kuper:

>> In recent news, Google may be about to open source On2 codecs, perhaps
>> creating a route out of the HTML 5 video codec deadlock:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/06/google_vp6_open_source/

> At this point, this seems to be pure speculation. Maybe Google
> representatives can chime in on this issue ?

I think it would be entirely reasonable to let Google get on with what
they're doing on their schedule and count our chickens precisely when
they hatch ;-)

But with the results the Xiph/Mozilla/Wikimedia team have managed to
get with the Thusnelda encoder for Theora - comparable results to
H.264 - a released open unencumbered codec with a big company
defending its freedom could get very good indeed in reasonable order.

- d.