[whatwg] input type=hidden outside phrasing content

Kristof Zelechovski wrote:
> Why is FORM INPUT[type="hidden"] not enough?

Hi Chris, I'm sorry I don't follow your comment. My suggestion
is about <input type="hidden"> currently not being allowed in
all locations in a document. Could you elaborate?
(Maybe the followups below will make things clearer anyway.)

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Where is it currently not allowed that you would like to
> allow it? It's
> pretty much allowed anywhere already as far as I can tell.

Yes, maybe it is? Reading the spec again, I realize I had
missed the sentence "All phrasing content is also flow
content". (I was mainly on the lookout for DTD-like info.)
I have included a couple of the cases I'm thinking of below
(that are invalid in HTML4). But some of them may already be
ok in HTML5?

<form ...>
  <input type="hidden" ...>
</form>

  <input type="hidden" ...>

  <input type="hidden" ...>

    <input type="hidden" ...>

<ul/ol/dl>
  <input type="hidden" ...>
</ul/ol/dl>

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> For arbitrary state accessible to in-page scripting (like
> javascript), html5 defines the data-* family of attributes
> on all elements.  These can have any name (as long as it
> starts with "data-") and can hold arbitrary data.

Yes, I'm aware of them and they actually have an interesting
property in that they introduce "page state" in a way
orthogonal to the element structure, as they allow data
binding without introducing a new element or enforcing a
certain element structure.
(My focus this time is on POSTable state so the data- props
won't do, but it would be interesting if hidden POSTable data
could be added orthogonally to the element structure in a
fashion similar to data-.)

> For POSTable state, the state needs to be within the
> <form> that's being submitted in any case, so being able
> to place the hidden state outside of the form wouldn't get
> you much.  Can you elaborate on what you're proposing?

Certainly, and no it is not outside the <form> I'm seeking
but rather the odd cases above (imagine an outer form on all
examples but the first).

Best regards
Mike Wilson