[whatwg] Video, Closed Captions, and Audio Description Tracks

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:33:26 -0700
At 12:53  +0300 9/10/07, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>On Oct 8, 2007, at 22:05, Dave Singer wrote:
>
>>We suggested two ways to achieve captioning (a) by selection of
>>element, at the HTML level ('if you need captions, use this
>>resource')
>
>Makes sense to me in case of open captions burned onto the video track.
>
>>and (b) styling of elements at the HTML level ('this video can be
>>asked to display captions').
>
>I don't quite understand how this would work. Closed captioning
>availability seems more like an intrinsic feature of the video file
>and the preference to have captions rendered seems like a boolean
>pref--not style.

Actually, I over-spoke when I said the formal word "style";  we just
mean that the user preference for assistive material should be
conveyed to the multimedia player and resource, after the HTML-level
selection has happened: "Once a candidate source has been selected,
the UA must attempt to apply the user's accessibility preferences to
its presentation, so that adaptable content is presented
appropriately."
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime