[whatwg] Improving specification of accesskey?

From: Michael <mike@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 04:47:57 +0900
Darin Adler <darin at apple.com>, 2007-11-07 11:38 -0800:

[...]
> I was hoping HTML 5 would document existing practice in a way that's less
> vague than what HTML 4 says.
>
> We could consider changes and new features as well, but that's even more
> challenging. Maciej suggested that we dump accesskey and replace it with
> something that would solve the real problem, and I think that's also worth
> pursuing separately.

I think it's definitely worth pursuing. But while I'm personally
not especially fond of accesskey, it's in the same class as some
other legacy markup constructs -- something we may all agree is
far less than ideal, but that is already widely used in existing
content. So we still need to have a more precise spec for it if we
want to have a hope of UAs handling it interoperably.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/