[whatwg] Improving specification of accesskey?

From: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 22:38:32 +0200
On Nov 7, 2007 9:38 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> We could consider changes and new features as well, but that's even
> more challenging. Maciej suggested that we dump accesskey and replace
> it with something that would solve the real problem, and I think
> that's also worth pursuing separately.

Personally, I hate accesskey. I understand that it was invented
because someone felt it would solve a problem, however I believe it
creates many more problems than it solves.

I think it makes more sense for user agents to innovate ways to
automatically assign keys (as e.g., links/lynx can do, or as TAF/FAYT
works in Geckos).

This isn't to say that I'm against accessibility, I just don't think
this feature makes sites more accessible. If each site picks different
bindings (and they do/will), it's worse than the web browser
automatically and consistently assigning bindings the user likes.