[Whatwg] Request for HTML-only print link

From: Sander <html5@zoid.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:17:48 +0200

Anthony Jawad schreef:
>> This dependency should not be necessary for something like printing
>> as it is basic functionality in most browsers (not sure about mobile
>> devices though).
>
> I think your concern about mobile devices emphasizes why this is
> probably a bad idea: the fact that such a feature would make no sense
> for many sorts of user agents suggests that it's very fundamentally
> beyond the scope of HTML.

Perhaps you're right. You sure need a printer to print of course,
although you cannot check for that either, even with client side scripting.
But what about the mailto-pseudo-protocol then? If you have no
configurated email client installed on the system you're working on then
that won't work either.

Perhaps a solution would be for user agents that don't have a print
feature to hide these print links or, even better, to provide a way to
print to file.

cheers,
Sander