[whatwg] getElementsByClassName

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 19:55:53 -0700
Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Simon Pieters wrote:
>> getElementsByClassName is defined to take an array of strings as
>> argument. What exactly is an array? A native ECMAScript array, or
>> anything with a 'length' property and the properties '0' -> length-1?
>> Is a DOMTokenList an "array" that can be passed to gEBCN?
>
> It could be defined to accept either a space separated string or an
> array.  Using the [Overloads] extended attributed defined in the
> Language Bindings for DOM Specifications draft [1], it could be defined
> like this:
>
> NodeList getElementsByClassName(in DOMString classNames);
> [Overloads=getElementsByClassName]
>      NodeList getElementsByClassNameArray(in DOMString[] classNames);
>
> For ECMAScript, that effectively means that getElementsByClassName() can
> be called with either a space separated string of class names or an array.
>
> [1]
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2006/webapi/Binding4DOM/Overview.html?content-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8#Overloads

I agree with Simon here. Allowing arrays to be passed in doesn't add any
extra value and complicates the implementation significantly. I think
that the by far most common case is going to be passing a single class
name, so adding multiple ways of passing multiple class names seems like
overkill.

/ Jonas