[whatwg] Hyphenation

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 00:02:54 +0100, ?istein E. Andersen
<html5@?istein.com> wrote:
> The controversy surrounding the meaning of &shy; (U+00AD) is probably
> over, although Opera currently seems not to render this character in
> accordance with Unicode (IE7 and Safari seem to do the right thing;
> Firefox does not hyphenate at all).

So as I understand it from
http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTML-hyphenation.html &shy; is not
enough because you have (theoretical) cases like:

   zo?ven -> zo-e-ven

I doubt this is really important to web pages though.

The W3C page also mentions "Of course, the simple cases could also be
handled with a `soft hyphen' (&shy;), if browsers would only support it."
which is of course not an excuse to go around and introduce a new element!

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>