[whatwg] Hyphenation

From: Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:14:53 +0200
?istein E. Andersen wrote:
> Hyphenation does not seem to have been discussed on this list so far, and I think
> it should be.
>
> General discussion:
>     [1] http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTML-hyphenation.html
>
> Old proposal:
>     [2] http://www.nada.kth.se/i18n/html/hyph.html
> [...]
> The proposal [2] suggests the addition of a new <hyph> element, modelled after
> TeX's \discretionary command (with a possibly superfluous addition), that permits
> to specify which characters to render before/after a line break if the word is broken.

I think I like the style suggested by Mirsad Todorovac [1]. Even though
I'm very familiar with SGML/XML style markup I find this

	zo<HYPH AFT="e">?</HYPH><HYPH></HYPH>ven

much harder to understand than this

	<HYPH points="zo-even,zo?-ven">zo?ven</HYPH>

I would prefer <HYPH choices="..."> instead for the latter case.

--
Mikko