[whatwg] Definition list and tables: what's the difference ?

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:23:53 -0500
Simon Pieters wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:30:27 +0100, Alexey Feldgendler
> I don't see what you're trying to get across. As stated before every
> stucture <dl> can do <table> can do as well. Could you elaborate on what
> you think is being abused and why?

   I don't think structure is the issue. Obviously, if you're creative
enough, you can express the structure of a wide variety of data using a
table. For instance, you could use tables to represent sections and
subsections of a document with headers. You could also use tables to
create the structure of an ordered or unordered list. That does not mean
that the data is necessarily tabular in nature, nor does it mean that
table has the necessary non-structural semantics to express the intended
meaning of the content. This whole thread is as silly as saying that we
structure. Structure is important, but it's only half of the equation.