[whatwg] HTML 5, OGG, competition, civil rights, and persons with disabilities

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:44:21 +0900
At 13:45  -0500 11/12/07, Fernando wrote:
>Please reconsider the decision to exclude the recommendation of the
Theora/OGG Vorbis codec in HTML 5 guidelines.

This entire discussion is founded on a major misapprehension:  that
there has been a decision, and that decision was to exclude.  This is
simply not true;  there is no decision either to include or exclude.
There is a recognition that work is needed.

I and others have spent a great deal of time on this problem already,
working with a number of people, including the W3C staff.  Many of us
-- maybe all of us -- agree we need to find a solution that enables
broad interoperability and is in accord with w3c and web practices.
We have not yet reached consensus on having found it.  That's all.

--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime