[whatwg] Spellchecking proposal #2

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:25:20 +0200
Quoting Matthew Raymond <mattraymond at earthlink.net>:
>> So I'm not sure about using CSS or XBL, but I do see a need coming
>> back where you can simple do:
>>
>>    foo { spellcheck:on; content:html-snippet }
>>
>> ... or something like that and have it globally declared for _every_
>> page that uses the property sheet instead of on every single element.
>>
>> Of course, the question is when doing such a thing: "Where do you stop?"
>
>    More terrifying is the idea that separate individuals may be
> responsible for the CSS and the HTML. The person responsible for the
> site style sheets could disable or enable spell checking without the
> author of a specific page ever knowing.

May be I wasn't clear. I was not proposing more properties to CSS.
Having a separate language that can take care of the more behavioral
things that are easily expressed.

> The impact would be to abandon |spellcheck| as a standard and define
> how attributes like |accept| and |pattern| may affect spell checking for
> a UA. The only non-user-hostile use for a spellcheck-type attribute
> would be to give hints for previously unknown fields, and that could
> probably be done with |accept|.

I think people would give wrong values for accept in such cases just
to turn it off/on.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>