[whatwg] Dynamic content accessibility in HTML today

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:36:40 +0100
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:22:40 -0700, Aaron Leventhal
> <aaronlev at moonset.net> wrote:
>> I like the role attribute because it's already usable in Mozilla, to
>> make accessible web applications. What's the advantage of using
>> class/appearance instead, if there is no browser already mapping this
>> information to assistive technologies?
>
> The advantage is in using elements which already have the right
> semantics. Those already work everywhere. Using XBL, 'appearance' and
> perhaps class="" you can style them in the way you want not affecting
> the actual semantics of the element and therefore keeping it accessible.

But XBL works with ~0 assistive technologies and is presumably going to be
complex to implement properly. Whilst, in general, I agree that having elements
used in the correct way to provide semantic information is desirable, I think
that adopting a technology that is already implemented and proven to solve real
problems is a better approach than waiting on a complex future specification to
be finished and implemented.

--
"You see stars that clear have been dead for years
But the idea just lives on..." -- Bright Eyes