[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working draft

From: Christian Schmidt <whatwg.org@chsc.dk>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:38:35 +0200
Ian Hickson wrote:
>> 47. Question: If the disabled attribute can be applied to
>>      <fieldset> elements, why can't it be applied to <form>
>>      elements too?
>
> Because nobody suggested it.
>
> Do we really want that? It doesn't seem that useful. What's the use case?

A use case may a form that is designed for users with write permissions.

I may want to use the same form to present the data to users with
read-only permissions. This could be accomplished by setting the
disabled attribute on the form. This would make all data visible but
readonly.

Hmm, this sounds more like a readonly attribute on the form. Or does it?
In my use case, submit buttons should be disabled (or hidden). It may
make sense to enable regular buttons.

Does this make sense? Or is there another easy way to make the same form
useable for both read-write and read-only users?

Christian