[whatwg] charset attribute of HTMLScriptElement

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Toshirou Takahashi wrote:

> > You can already do this -- just include the correct encoding
> > information in the Content-Type header for the JS file, as in:

> It is a good method. I also agree and I can do.
>
> However, how do you do when the user cannot use cgi , .htaccess etc ?

When using systems that are unable of basic compliance with existing Web
standards, it is possible to include the character encoding in the "type"
attribute of the <script> element, as follows:

   <script type="text/javascript;charset=utf-8">
   </script>

However, it should be noted that in most cases HTTP defines that the
information contained in that attribute is overridden by the information
in the HTTP headers and thus this is not a reliable method (and would not
work, for instance, if the server sent back contradictory metadata).