[whatwg] [html5] 2.20.1. The datagrid element

On Sun, 1 May 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> > It returns 0, because the table contains neither tbody nor tr
> > children.
>
> I was wondering if that was desired.

It was intended. Whether it is desired or not, I am not 100% sure. I'm
open to alternate algorithms.

> > As the spec says: The colspan and rowspan attributes are ignored by
> > this algorithm.
> >
> > Datagrids in common GUIs aren't capable of complex column captions
> > like the above. How would you change the spec to work with the above?
>
> Don't check THEAD for such data.

This would mean having to do a search of every element in the <thead>
before knowing whether to use it or not. This would be very bad for
performance. Also, it's unclear to me what you would look for -- colspan
attributes with values that don't convert to numeric 1?

> And also, perhaps it would be useful to check COLGROUP and COL elements
> first...

Check them for what?