[whatwg] [html5] 2.20.1. The datagrid element

Ian Hickson wrote:
> It was intended. Whether it is desired or not, I am not 100% sure.
> I'm open to alternate algorithms.

I was thinking about checking descendents instead of children as last
option. Not sure how that is for performance though. Perhaps the
specification should be updated after real world problems have occured
with the current specification instead of thinking about real world
problems that might come to exist.

>>> As the spec says: The colspan and rowspan attributes are ignored
>>> by this algorithm.
>>>
>>> Datagrids in common GUIs aren't capable of complex column
>>> captions like the above. How would you change the spec to work
>>> with the above?
>>
>> Don't check THEAD for such data.
>
> This would mean having to do a search of every element in the <thead>
> before knowing whether to use it or not. This would be very bad for
> performance. Also, it's unclear to me what you would look for --
> colspan attributes with values that don't convert to numeric 1?

This would mean checking the first child of the TBODY element for the
amount of TD children it has. Not?

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>