[whatwg] XPointer

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Laurens Holst wrote:

> What about requiring XPointer support in UA's? Would certainly make
> linking to a point inside another document a whole lot easier, as
> opposed to having to rely on the document author's application of ID's
> on every section.

Requiring XPointer support is the job of the XPointer spec, not the WHATWG
specs.

Having said that, personally my experiences with XPointer have led me to
conclude that it is an over-complicated way of achieving what is much more
easily achived using IDs and fragment identifiers. Occasionally those fail
to get the accuracy one would want, but I'm not convinced those cases are
worth the massive complexity of XPointer.

In any case though, as I said, it's not WHATWG's role to take a position
on other specs, especially those that are already part of a standards
track and so forth.