Re: Call for adoption - WEBRTC-QUIC

On 11/29/2018 7:58 AM, westhawk wrote:

>> On 29 Nov 2018, at 13:23, Zhu, Jianjun <jianjun.zhu@intel.com
>> <mailto:jianjun.zhu@intel.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 2018/11/29, 12:25 PM, "Ted Hardie" <ted.ietf@gmail.com
>> <mailto:ted.ietf@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> That leaves me puzzled as to why this is the best WG to develop an
>> API for it.  As a data transport for HTTP/3, it seems like this would
>> be of broader interest within the W3C.
>> Transferring data between peers is in WebRTC WG’s scope. I’m curious
>> about was there any debate on adopting data channel.
> As I recall, there was some debate. Our experience at that point was
> that adding data in a side channel was a good way to augment a call
> and that DTMF didn’t do it, nor would server routed websockets.

And p2p was a big win (latency wise) over websockets.  (See below for
more).  side-channels via server/signaling in SIP had many issues.... ;-)

> The data channel discussion was framed around area I think.
>
> Standalone data channel (with no associated call) came later and was a
> surprising success (at least to me).

As one of the people who pushed for DataChannel at the start, and who
proposed SCTP and multiple channels (instead of a single over-RTP
channel as IIRC was initially proposed), standalone was always clearly a
goal - the use case I used to justify it was things like games, which
might or might not have associated media (and that might change over
time).  I also was certain that providing a general tool instead of a
specialized one would lead to many unanticipated usecases and
applications, and one we considered early was use datachannels as a
proxy for webtraffic (as uproxy ended up doing), and for implementing
distributed call setup (thinking about the then-extant Arab Spring and
blocking of single-source comm channels).

You can go look at some of the arguments from the IETF in taiwan, and
the list (rtcweb) discussions, and the summary of the Stockholm W3/IETF
interim when we hammered out the ducktyping to WebSockets and the 0-RTT
open.

--
Randell Jesup -- rjesup a t mozilla d o t com
Please please please don't email randell-ietf@jesup.org!  Way too much spam