Re: Call for adoption - WEBRTC-QUIC

> On 29 Nov 2018, at 13:23, Zhu, Jianjun <jianjun.zhu@intel.com> wrote:
>
> On 2018/11/29, 12:25 PM, "Ted Hardie" <ted.ietf@gmail.com <mailto:ted.ietf@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> That leaves me puzzled as to why this is the best WG to develop an API for it.  As a data transport for HTTP/3, it seems like this would be of broader interest within the W3C.
>

> Transferring data between peers is in WebRTC WG’s scope. I’m curious about was there any debate on adopting data channel.

As I recall, there was some debate. Our experience at that point was that adding data in a side channel was a good way to augment a call and that DTMF didn’t do it, nor would server routed websockets.
The data channel discussion was framed around area I think.

Standalone data channel (with no associated call) came later and was a surprising success (at least to me).

T.