Re: Getting rid of SDP

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 2:00 PM Lennart Grahl <lennart.grahl@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 05.03.2018 22:01, Sergio Garcia Murillo wrote:
> > On 05/03/2018 21:45, Bernard Aboba wrote:

> >> [BA] A major advantage of the approach above is that it is modular and
> >> can deliver incremental functionality based on existing work in
> >> RTCWEB, ICE and QUIC WGs without an inherent dependency on RTPv3 or
> >> ICEv2 (though it can also accommodate those things if and when they
> >> become available).
> >
> > +1 I don't think that starting by changing the the media protocols is
> > the best way of defining an api.
> >
> > Let's define a low level modular api (that is what most devs want
> > anyway) that could be reused in different scenarios (ICE+DTLS+ICE or
> > quick) easily.
>
> Isn't that what ORTC does provide?

Yes, but ORTC doesn't provide:

1.  Low enough level to be the "ICE controller" (SLICE does by going lower)
2.  Access to encoder/decoders to enable sending media over QUIC.

In other words, breaking up IceTransport into lower level pieces and
RtpSender/RtpReceiver into lower-level pieces would provide even more
flexibility than ORTC does.