Re: maxHeight and maxWidth

On 2/13/16 11:50 PM, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> ​I hope we can all remember that we are only considering
> scaleResolutionDownToHeight/Width for the encoding parameters *for
> simulcast scenarios*.  If simulcast isn't part of the scenario, then
> there's no need for these (or maxFramerate, or scaleResolutionDownBy,
> etc).  And most app developers never deal with simulcast.   Anything
> we add for simulcast is already well in the realm of an advanced use case.

Given the years the Media Capture and Streams WG spent defining an
overly complex constraints language, I find the repeated assumption in
this thread that a track can be constrained to any arbitrary size and
frame rate, amusing.

If it were true, it would offer amazing simplifications to that spec, like:

   function fitnessDistance() { return 0 }; // = Whatever you want.

   typedef MediaTrackSettingsMediaConstraintsSet; // no min|max|exact|ideal
   typedef MediaConstraintsSet MediaTrackConstraints; // bye-bye advanced!

Despite having sunk effort into implementing this already, I would
personally welcome it. Just make up your collective minds.

If that's not happening, then I find scaleResolutionDownBy and
maxFramerate useful outside of simulcast.

.: Jan-Ivar :.