Re: Fwd: [rtcweb] Updated WG Last call for draft-ietf-rtcweb-stun-consent-freshness

On 06/20/2015 02:56 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> Forwarding this from the IETF, because I am unclear what effect a ICE
> update has on a Web application.
>
> Would the UA take care of ICE updates or would that get exposed on the
> API level?
> Would the RTCPeerConnection be pulled down when consent expires and
> need to be re-established?
Loss of consent on a track would lead to the PeerConnection's ICE state
changing from "completed" to "disconnected". The description of the
"disconnected" state says:

"Liveness checks have failed for one or more components. This is more
aggressive than failed, and may trigger intermittently (and resolve
itself without action) on a flaky network."

So the connection is NOT torn down - there's no promise that it won't
start working again.

One CAN do a new offer/answer to trigger an ICE restart in this case.
Whether it helps or not depends, of course, on the cause of the disconnect.

   pc.oniceconnectionstatechange = function() {
      if (pc.iceConnectionState === 'disconnected') {
         iAmInTrouble = true;
         // See if it heals, then ICE restart
         setTimeout(function() {
              if (pc.iceConnectionState === 'disconnected' and
iAmInTrouble) {
              createOffer({iceRestart = true});
              // negotiate - this won't affect existing tracks' state
           }, 1000)
      } else if (pc.iceConnectionState === 'connected') {
          iAmInTrouble = false;
      }
   }

Or something like that.... adjust timeouts to personal taste, add logic
to deal with multiple connected/disconnected transitions within the
timeout interval, abandon hope instead of renegotiating, collect
statistics on how often things happen.... I think we need to let
experience be gathered here.