Re: Why does screen sharing require a browser extension?

On 26 November 2013 12:36, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
> Okay, good. So the next question is: what is different between the
> install-time consent box and the one that pops up for each sharing request?

I'm an advocate for zero popups.  Having the site trigger a consent
dialog reduces the value of the consent thus obtained.  Even though it
might not be modal and require user interaction, it still effectively
inserts itself into the path for a user's goal-seeking behaviour.
It's attention-grabbing, so users will learn to click there.

A more effective approach, one that is shared by a number of
applications that offer screen sharing, is to force the user to
actively seek screen sharing options.  If the browser offered a menu
item somewhere that said "Share Screen/Application..." and the user
sought that menu item and selected it, then I might have a better
sense that this is their intent.  Even better if that then produced a
selection dialog whereby the user could select between "everything
that I see" and "just a specific application" (and maybe "just a
specific browser tab"), as long as there was a prominent "oops,
nevermind, cancel" button there.  Doing this could maybe fire Justin's
proposed "sourceschanged" event, upon which the application could
request the screen share source.

Justin's proposed "app install" approach here forces the same sort of
interaction model.  The first time.  That's why I'm less enthusiastic
about having that as a requirement.  But you know what?  That's OK.
We don't actually need to standardize this part.  Browsers will do
what they think best when it comes to UX and I'm glad that Justin is
taking this seriously.  At least he isn't leaving sharp pointy objects
lying around.