Re: Tracks in multiple Stream …. Re: Teasing apart the data API questions

On 5/17/2012 1:52 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
> On May 17, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> So when you said
>>
>> "I'd like to back up and talk about normal Tracks being attached to more
>> than one stream."
>>
>> you really meant whether it should be possible to have more than one
>> track containing the same stream added to a single PeerConnection object?
> Yes - and apologies for my email not actually saying that in any way
>
>> I really don't see the
>> useful situation either, but OTOH adding such a restriction in the API
>> seems quite difficult to me; we would have to specify that the AddStream
>> of a PeerConnection object could fail if one of the tracks inside the
>> stream is already attached to the same PeerConnection, which is a "late
>> surprise".
> agree that sort of API error would just make things worse - I think the point I was trying to get to is that they are synchronized.

Best not to try to hard to say "They won't use it this way", especially
as we expect that there are usecases for WebRTC we haven't come close to
thinking of.

Just because the two MediaStreams are fed from the same sync source
doesn't mean they're still actually in sync, especially if one went
through some processing which delayed it.

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf@jesup.org