Re: [ACTION-43] (sdp related objects and global namespace) - way forward

On 06/15/2012 12:07 PM, Adam Bergkvist wrote:

>>> I don't see moving them out of the global namespace as the only
>>> solution to this problem (even though that's how the action was
>>> formulated). We're already putting a lot of stuff in the global
>>> namespace with PeerConnection prefixes. Renaming was also discussed
>>> during the meeting.
>>
>> There's a reason why the action was recorded at it was; I thought that
>> once it was pointed out that we could reduce our pollution footprint, it
>> was obvious that we should do so.
>
> Sure, but IceCandidate and SessionDescription are only two of the
> names we introduce in the global namespace (others are DataChannel,
> PeerConnectionErrorCallback, ...). I think we need to be consistent or
> determine that some objects are special enough to be treated differently.
>
> I simply wanted to present our alternatives and get some comments from
> the people who had opinions about this on the meeting.

Tommy promised to provide more information on this, but apparently stuff
that doesn't have constructors isn't accessible from the global JS
namespace, so doesn't pollute in the same way - the names are only
visible internally in the IDL specifications.

We do provide constructors for PeerConnectionEvent,
PeerConnectionIceEvent, MediaStreamTrackEvent, MediaStreamEvent and
DataChannelEvent.

Dom, do all events require constructors?

MediaStream provides a constructor, but only for making a mediastream
out of track lists.
getUserMedia seems to be the only other name we expose in the
getUserMedia spec.