Re: Proposal for Hints Information

On 24/01/2012 14:57, Cullen Jennings wrote:

> I'm thinking about the uses cases here and let me try a straw man …
>
> If there is an aspect ratio, specified, meeting that constraint is the highest priority.
>
> If there is a max height or width set, meeting that constrain is the next highest priority.
>
> If there is a min height or width set, meeting that constraint is the lowest priority.
>
> All constraints being meant, select the solution with the largest number of pixels.
>

> For the cases I could think of of being "realistic" use cases - these rules seemed to work. Thoughts on if something as simple of this would not work? different set of rules ?

There may be cases that would require a different ordering of the
priorities listed here. One example would be how to express a preference
for the best quality picture, and all being equal with quality, I'd
prefer landscape rather than portrait aspect ratio.

With the fixed priority ordering described here I have the option of
either forcing a landscape aspect, which may result in low quality, or
asking for quality at the expense of giving up any preference for aspect.

A potential solution may be to actually express the constraints as an
ordered list - then I can express the preference for aspect ratio or
quality in the order that I specify the parameters.

Neil