Re: New version of editors draft released (20121212)

From: Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 10:56:26 +0100
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
CC: Dan Burnett <dburnett@voxeo.com>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 2012-12-14 17:57, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 14 December 2012 01:41, Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com> wrote:
>> This edit was really a rename of what you refer to as the
>> "machine-generated" identifier from "label" to "id" to align with
>> MediaStreamTrack. We've never had a "human-generated" identifier on
>> MediaStream so it hasn't been removed. :)
>>
>> I'm not really convinced we need a human settable identifier on MediaStream
>> unless it's transported over a p2p connection (and we have a use-case for
>> that). If you want to assign a custom label to a MediaStream on the local
>> side you can simply add as many new properties to it as you like
>> (myStream.label = "Web Cam & headset mic"; ).
>
> I think perhaps that you are confused about what label was proposed
> for.  This has been populated by the browser and it provides text that
> is designed for human *consumption* (not generation).

Yes, "human-generated" wording from Dan's initial mail has made me a bit
confused. In the reminder of this mail I'll refer to label as something
generated by the UA but human readable.

> This can give
> an application the ability to provide appropriate feedback about which
> device is currently in use.  In our work on this, this has been
> invaluable.

I totally agree that a label that can give human readable information
about devices is useful. That's the label on track level which is in the
spec. But, what should this kind of UA generated, but human readable,
label be for streams which represent collections of tracks that may
change over time?

/Adam