Re: New version of editors draft released (20121212)

On 14 December 2012 01:41, Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com> wrote:
> This edit was really a rename of what you refer to as the
> "machine-generated" identifier from "label" to "id" to align with
> MediaStreamTrack. We've never had a "human-generated" identifier on
> MediaStream so it hasn't been removed. :)
>
> I'm not really convinced we need a human settable identifier on MediaStream
> unless it's transported over a p2p connection (and we have a use-case for
> that). If you want to assign a custom label to a MediaStream on the local
> side you can simply add as many new properties to it as you like
> (myStream.label = "Web Cam & headset mic"; ).

I think perhaps that you are confused about what label was proposed
for.  This has been populated by the browser and it provides text that
is designed for human *consumption* (not generation).  This can give
an application the ability to provide appropriate feedback about which
device is currently in use.  In our work on this, this has been
invaluable.