Re: How to use SourceType?

On 21/04/16 14:32, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> On 04/21/2016 01:03 PM, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> how is an app supposed to use SourceType?
>>
>> It is said to be a constrainable property, but it is not part of a
>> track's ConstraintSet, nor is it something that can be part of
>> MediaStreamConstraints used with mediaDevices.getUserMedia.
>>
>> Is this an oversight, or am I missing something obvious?
>>
>> Stefan
>>
> I think we once thought that this would have more values as more ways of
> producing MediaStreamTracks came on line (from canvas, from <video>,
> from remote). Querying "settings" would allow you to see what kind of
> source it was. But I think we forgot.

That is actually why I noticed, I was working on a PR for webrtc-pc, and
figured we need a new SourceType (something like "net" or
"peerconnection"), but then noted it is not used.

Just looked at http://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-fromelement/ and it
seems unused there as well,
OTOH https://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-depth/ defines the new
SourceType "depth".

> At the current state of things, removing it seems like a good idea.

+1.