WebPlatform.com Domain

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:34:38 -0400
To: "public-webplatform@w3.org" <public-webplatform@w3.org>
CC: Ric Johnson <ric@webplatform.com>
Hi, folks–

I'm very pleased to announce that Ric Johnson of OpenDomain has
generously donated the WebPlatform.com domain to our project!

With Ric's help and patience, we transferred the domain registration to
W3C this weekend.

For now, we've put up a splash page [1], that provides a link to
WebPlatform.org, with a link and special thanks to OpenDomain.org. (It
may take a while for the DNS to get set up and propagate properly.)

Ric would like the community to consider how best to use this domain
name. He suggests something commercial, to complement our open site, but
he emphasized that the final usage is up to us in the community. He
would like it to be something unique, not merely a redirect to
WebPlatform.org.

I invite the community to discuss how we can use WebPlatform.com to make
our project better.

Thanks again to Ric and OpenDomain for providing this domain name! Even
in these days of dozens (or hundreds?) of top-level domains, having the
*.com domain is significant, and helps us protect our unique community
identity.

[1] http://webplatform.com/

Regards-
-Doug