From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com<mailto:amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, July 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM
To: Renoir Boulanger <renoir@w3.org<mailto:renoir@w3.org>>, WebPlatform Public List <public-webplatform@w3.org<mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>>
Cc: julee <julee@adobe.com<mailto:julee@adobe.com>>, Jen Simmons <jen@jensimmons.com<mailto:jen@jensimmons.com>>
Subject: Re: Replacing default welcome email. Was: Onboarding new members

That's just what I wanted to see, Renoir.  So we have control over both

(a) the content of the confirmation email [1]
(b) the page that displays after the user confirms the email [2], which appears to be the same server template that is used to generate the page that displays each time a user logs in or changes their password.

And both can be localized to different languages.

At this point, it's probably easiest to just focus on how we want the welcome to appear with the new single sign-on system, and not worry about changing the existing Mediawiki sign-on.

Everyone else:  Can we get feedback about the following proposed texts so that Renoir can start integrating them into the new system (and we can start finding volunteers to translate)?

For the confirmation email, I would suggest adapting the current email [3], adjusting for the fact that the Firefox system doesn't have a cancel link (doing nothing will cancel registration):

******
Hello {USERNAME}!

Someone, probably you, has registered an account on WebPlatform Docs with email {{USER EMAIL}}.

To confirm that this account really does belong to you, and to complete registration, please open this link in your browser:
{{CONFIRM LINK}}

If you did *not* register the account, simply ignore this email.

For more information about the WebPlatform Docs project, visit http://www.webplatform.org/

******

For the welcome page that displays after someone has confirmed their account, my proposal was:

******
Welcome {{USERNAME}}!  You have successfully created your account with WebPlatform Docs.  We're delighted to have you on board.

To view your profile or change your preferences, select your user name from the top menu bar.

To find out how best to contribute to the project, read the [[WPD:Contributors_Guide | Contributor's Guide]].  You can always reach that page by selecting "CONTRIBUTE" from the navigation options at the top of the page.

You've already done Step 1, Create an Account.  Now it's time to introduce yourself on the group email list and start making changes!

If you do find a bug or problem that you can't fix yourself, you can file a report on the [http://project.webplatform.org/  Project Issue Tracker]; you can always reach that page by selecting "ISSUES" from the top navigation.  Be aware that you currently need to set up a separate account to use that system; please use the same user name, so that we can connect the two accounts in the future.

Any further questions?  Difficulties logging in?  There might be someone on the [[WPD:Community#Chat_with_us_on_IRC | #webplatform IRC channel]] who can help.
******

Since the same template is also used when users log-in or reset their password, I think most of the content should be re-used in those situations, as a reminder.  We would need to swap out the first paragraph and the next steps statement (which I've separated out as paragraph 4) should only display during sign-up confirmation.

And of course, the warning about the separate sign-on for the project tracker should hopefully become obsolete in the not-too-distant future.

Proposed text for the first paragraph after a log-in:
******
Welcome back {{USERNAME}}!  You have successfully logged in to WebPlatform Docs.
******

Proposed text for the first paragraph after a password reset:
******
Welcome back {{USERNAME}}!  Your WebPlatform Docs password has been reset successfully.
******

Opinions?  Objections?  Volunteers to translate?

AmeliaBR

[1]: https://github.com/webplatform/fxa-content-server/blob/webplatform-customizations/server/templates/email/verify.html

[2]: https://github.com/webplatform/fxa-content-server/blob/webplatform-customizations/app/scripts/templates/ready.mustache

[3]: http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Confirmemail_body