Re: Replacing default welcome email. Was: Onboarding new members

Thanks for reminding us about this priority Renoir,

I think an important part of the welcome email will be to link to the
Contributor's Guide [1].  However, that page is currently in disarray --
Jen had started to re-arrange the content, but then got pulled away to work
on other projects.

Jen:  Can you let us know what's the status/priority of that clean-up?
 Does someone else need to take over this project?

Beyond that, it should probably be "short and sweet", especially if we are
going to try to translate it into many languages. Equally important, we do
not want the welcome to distract from the functionality of the email
confirmation process.  If we have too many links for people to follow, they
might not click on the correct ones.

The current English text is:

Someone, probably you, from IP address $1, has registered an account "$2"
with this email address on WebPlatform Docs.

To confirm that this account really does belong to you and activate email
features on WebPlatform Docs, open this link in your browser:

$3

If you did *not* register the account, follow this link to cancel the email
address confirmation:

$5

This confirmation code will expire at $4.

*At most*, I would suggest adding the following line after the confirmation
email, before the cancel option:

 "*After* you've confirmed your account, be sure to check out the
Contributor's Guide at
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Contributors_Guide for suggestions on
what to do next!"

However,* what would really be ideal* is if we could add a custom welcome *to
the page that is displayed when they confirm their account*, so that the
order of operations is (a) get sign-up confirmation email (b) click on
confirmation link (c) Get a hearty welcome to WebPlatform and suggestions
on what to do next.

If we can do that, my suggestion for the text of that page would be
something like:

Welcome {{USERNAME}}!  You have successfully created your account with
WebPlatform Docs.  We're delighted to have you on board.

To view your profile or change your preferences, select your user name from
the top menu bar.

To find out how best to contribute to the project, read the
[[WPD:Contributors_Guide | Contributor's Guide]]; you've already done Step
1, Create an Account.  Now it's time to introduce yourself on the group
email list and start making changes!  You can always reach that page by
selecting "CONTRIBUTE" from the navigation options at the top of the page.

If you do find a bug or problem that you can't fix yourself, you can file a
report on the [http://project.webplatform.org/ Project Issue Tracker]; you
can always reach that page by selecting "ISSUES" from the top navigation.
 Be aware that you currently need to set up a separate account to use that
system; please use the same user name, so that we can connect the two
accounts in the future.

Any further questions?  Difficulties logging in?  There might be someone on
the [[WPD:Community#Chat_with_us_on_IRC | #webplatform IRC channel]] who
can help.

Of course, all this will change if the new sign-up system has a different
method of confirming new accounts, particularly if we do not control the
webpage that displays after a successful confirmation.

Amelia BR