Re: Converting MDN Compat Data to JSON

From: Pat Tressel <ptressel@myuw.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 16:02:54 -0800
To: Janet Swisher <jswisher@mozilla.com>
Cc: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, WebPlatform Community <public-webplatform@w3.org>
Hi, Janet!

The MDN compatibility tables are built with macros/templates, so unless the
> page is very neglected (and therefore not updated to use the standard
> macros), the table should have an identical structure.

Great!

> Some tables do have multiple rows, if the features were added over time.
> My worst-case example of a hairy compatibility table is
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/Input#Browser_compatibility

Nice -- that'll be an excellent test case!

> Or, we could operate on the original pages.  I'm a bit hesitant to run a
>> crawler without permission plus a look at MDN's robots.txt, so if you've
>> already got the complete set of tables, that may be better....
>>
>   I think there was discussion of doing this at time of day that has the
> least traffic on MDN. I can talk to Mozilla's IT folks to a) give them a
> heads-up and b) find out the best time to do it.

Let's see if Doug has already got the results of a crawl.  ;-)
Unless...how often are those tables updated, do you know?  Depending on
when the tables were extracted (which may have been last May), maybe we
should get a fresh set.

-- Pat