Re: Getting Started page updated

OK.  Hard to argue with all that, Scott.

tl;dr - we are still not making it easy to figure out how or where to
get started

I'll just comment that the getting started page sends you to the
editor's guide to get started, and there is more editor guidance on
the getting started page than on the editor's guide page (but no links
to it, until buried on the Step 3 page).  If we're ok with big pages,
and want to avoid extra clicks, then maybe the editor's guide should
be more filled out.  I'm way more interested in consistency than in a
particular style.

If I follow the numbered steps in the Editor's Guide, there are no
links from Step 1 to Step 2, or from Step 2 to Step 3 (so extra clicks
to go back to the Editor's Guide each time).  Are we sure that this
isn't what some people were complaining about?

The webplatform.org home page first shows a "docs" link (to the wiki
main page), and then an "editing" link (to the editor's guide).  The
wiki main page mentions the editor's guide inside a paragraph 3/4 down
the page, so hard to find.  If I want to contribute code examples, I
may not think of myself as an editor (maybe we need a contributor's
guide).

I figured I'd emulate a new volunteer, and since I didn't see a
getting started link I decided to search for it.  No sign of a search
function on the home page, but other pages seem to have it.  Search
for "getting started" first gets me a link offering to create the
"getting started" page (!?!), followed by a long list of seemingly
redundant pointers to "getting started with css" and "getting started
with javascript" but I found no mention of any existing getting
started page.

My only real point is that I've been working with the site and the
group for a while, and I'm still not clear how or where to point
someone to get them started, and we aren't presenting a consistent
message about it.

I'd like to help, so I'll keep looking for opportunities to
contribute.  I should see some of you at the doc sprint next week.

DougM