Re: Important: Preserve Content Attribution

Chris Mills
Opera Software, dev.opera.com
W3C Fellow, web education and webplatform.org
Author of "Practical CSS3: Develop and Design" (http://goo.gl/AKf9M)

On 19 Jan 2013, at 06:22, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, folks-
>
> As an addendum, it may be a good idea for us to investigate how we can make sure that attribution is preserved from removal by casual editors who aren't familiar with our policies.
>
> There may also be other kinds of information or content that we want to be immutable, including any legal advice or security warnings.
>
> I can think of 2 ways to manage this technically:
>
> 1) try to find a way to make certain blocks editable only by admins (with a template somehow?);
>
> 2) try to find how to make any edits to a particular block send out a notification to some watcher.

Nice overview Doug, this kind of information might be interesting as blog post … hint hint ;-)

We could perhaps have a system whereby when an article is first added, the attribution information is a mandatory field for addition, addable by anyone, and then when they've finished  their addition (for now), it gives them a "finalise this article first draft, yes/no" meaning that the content is still editable, but certain information is locked down and only editable by admins, such as the attribution info...