Re: What plugins we have in MediaWiki that use file uploads

Just an update on that thread.

We can stop working on that issue. I suggest we resume in January.

The resolution is that I installed GlusterFS the same was as the current live site on HPCloud.

So, no images will be lost whatsoever.

The cited components (listed at the bottom) that do not use DreamObjects is not a show stopper for this cloud-hop. We will see later to the possibility to have the components modified and migrate the data.

As a <side-note />, in case you wonder about what is the difference with our current GlusterFS and DreamObjects anyway?

<side-note>
    GlusterFS, Ceph provides the same thing: Replication of files between
    servers. The setup requires each web server to mount a network
    drive and serve the files through them (i.e. shared drive). The non
    components that do not support Swift (e.g. social profile)

    Will still use the same way as it was.

    Whereas with Swift/DreamObjects difference, besides the fact it uses
    Ceph instead of GlusterFS, is that it uses an HTTP API where supported
    components can POST/GET files.

    The improvement in this new setup is that we installed Fastly in front of it,
    and it’ll distribute them in their CDN for us.

    For example, the file:

    * http://docs.webplatform.org/w/images/b/b9/marcotte.jpg
    … is in GlusterFS, mounted drive from either app1, app2, app3, app4

    * http://static.webplatform.org/w/public/b/b9/marcotte.jpg
    … is served only from DreamObjects because the web application had it sent there

    In this new way, we isolate static assets (for now, only images) from generated
    content and are using a separate hostname (e.g. static.webplatform.org).  This
    will improve the site load speed because of the concurrent download limitation
    of the visitor web browser. Also, it will help DevOps to implement different
    caching strategies.

    Now, that some components do not use Swift/DreamObjects only means that
    we will either have to continue sharing a network drive, or have the components
    changed to use DreamObjects later down the road.
</side-note>

Renoir
~