From: Manu Sporny [mailto:msporny@digitalbazaar.com]
Sent: 27 May 2014 4:01 PM
To: Gerard P. Hammarlund
Cc: Stephane Boyera
Subject: Re: Request to Review Web Payments Steering Group Charter

Hey Gerard, thanks for the input. I'm cc'ing Stephane from the W3C, he's in
charge of drafting/revising the charter.

I need to clarify a few things with you:

On 05/27/2014 07:18 AM, Gerard P. Hammarlund wrote:
> Here are out comments:

Make sure to send your comments to:

public-webpaymentsigcharter@w3.org

This way, the entire group that is putting the charter together can see
them.

> We like the proposed change

Did you mean "proposed change" or "proposed charter"?

> but think it should go one step further to include the Diaspora.
> Suggestion: "and person-to-person (P2P) transactions including the
> Diaspora,". This is a very important topic and these new standards
> could play a very important role in helping the movement of these
> funds to where they are needed; local communities and businesses.

By "Diaspora" you mean the international remittance market, right? Could you
please define exactly what you mean by Diaspora in your comments.
For example, do you mean Diaspora within a non-native nation? Diaspora
across international boundaries? etc.

> One further point is, we think a clause should be added that outlines
> how and why this Charter may be amended and what percentage of a vote
> it will require to amend. Typically, this would be by 2/3rds or 3/4ths
> of a quorum.

W3C Charters are always developed via a consensus-based multi-stakeholder
approach. Input is typically given by the W3C membership (392+ companies)
via the Advisory Committee and the organization always strives to seek
consensus:

http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/process.html#AC

You can read more about the W3C voting process here:

http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/process.html#ReviewAppeal

All that to say that there is already a well documented and approved W3C
process in place to modify any W3C charter.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.

The Information in this Internet email is confidential and may be legally
Internet email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Any opinions or advice contained in this Internet email are subject to the
terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing End Results
Group terms of business or services agreement. Although we attempt to sweep
e-mail and attachments for viruses, we do not guarantee that either are
virus-free and accept no liability for any damage sustained as a result of
viruses.