Re: [Payments Architecture] A vision statement for the web payments architecture work

Hi Adrian,

First of all, many thanks for you comments and explanations.

El 22/05/2015 a las 15:27, Adrian Hope-Bailie escribió:
> Hi Antonio,
>
>     After reading the current version of the document, I have some
>     comments and suggestions that I would like to share. I hope they are
>     useful.
>

> Thanks for your input
>
>     - Regarding user experience, I would mention that the payment
>     process (initiation, purchase, obtaining a receipt and the
>     product/service) should be uniform so that the user can see the
>     process is conducted in the same way and, thus, it generates trust
>     to the users. I do not know if this is what you want to mean with
>     "harmonizing the checkout experience across e-commerce websites."
>

> Yes, this is what that sentence is intending to say. Perhaps
> "harmonizing the payment experience across all Web applications and sites."

it sounds ok.

>     I would also include that it should facilitate that the user can
>     know the payment options available and even the (automatic)
>     negotiation of these options.
>

> Is this not covered under the bullet: "*Provides payees and payers
> unencumbered knowledge and choice in how to undertake payments*"?

May be.

>     - I would also incluse some comment on that the way of making the
>     encapsulation of (new or existing) payment schemes should be uniform
>     and independent of the type of payment scheme (mobile or not).
>

> I think this is implied by the fact that we are "standardizing" this
> process.
>
>     - From my point of view, I do not why know why the document needs
>     the bullets "Enables monetization on the spectrum of Web to native
>     apps" and "Bridges distributed value networks should part of the
>     vision.". From my point of view, these issues are a consequence of
>     "Encapsulates existing payment schemes and enables new schemes. "
>

> No, the first bullet you mention is explicitly talking about enabling
> new business models on the Web due to the reduction in friction and cost
> of payments (monetization). This speaks to things like enabling
> pay-per-click/read/watch/listen media consumption or
> similar which

This last explanation is clearer since the previous one, in my opinion,
do not involve something clear related to the defintion of the payment
architecture.

>can't be easily done today because the way payments are
> processed makes these business models non-viable.
>
> The second is explicitly calling out the need for the architecture to
> allow payers and payees to make a transfer of value between one another,
> even if they don't have a common payment instrument or scheme. i.e. The
> Web must work like the Web is supposed to and have a mechanism to fill
> the gaps and comment the two.

With this explanaition I understand your idea. But, from my point of
view, in the end, this is making a kind of "P2P payment", which we could
consider as a new payment scheme.

Best regards,
Antonio.

e-mail: arm@um.es or arm [at] um [dot] es