Re: [Payments Architecture] A vision statement for the web payments architecture work

Hi Antonio,

After reading the current version of the document, I have some comments and
> suggestions that I would like to share. I hope they are useful.

Thanks for your input

> - Regarding user experience, I would mention that the payment process
> (initiation, purchase, obtaining a receipt and the product/service) should
> be uniform so that the user can see the process is conducted in the same
> way and, thus, it generates trust to the users. I do not know if this is
> what you want to mean with "harmonizing the checkout experience across
> e-commerce websites."

Yes, this is what that sentence is intending to say. Perhaps "harmonizing
the payment experience across all Web applications and sites."

> I would also include that it should facilitate that the user can know the
> payment options available and even the (automatic) negotiation of these
> options.

Is this not covered under the bullet: "*Provides payees and payers
unencumbered knowledge and choice in how to undertake payments*"?

> - I would also incluse some comment on that the way of making the
> encapsulation of (new or existing) payment schemes should be uniform and
> independent of the type of payment scheme (mobile or not).

I think this is implied by the fact that we are "standardizing" this
process.

- From my point of view, I do not why know why the document needs the
> bullets "Enables monetization on the spectrum of Web to native apps" and
> "Bridges distributed value networks should part of the vision.". From my
> point of view, these issues are a consequence of "Encapsulates existing
> payment schemes and enables new schemes. "

No, the first bullet you mention is explicitly talking about enabling new
business models on the Web due to the reduction in friction and cost of
payments (monetization). This speaks to things like enabling
pay-per-click/read/watch/listen media consumption or
similar which can't be easily done today because the way payments are
processed makes these business models non-viable.

The second is explicitly calling out the need for the architecture to allow
payers and payees to make a transfer of value between one another, even if
they don't have a common payment instrument or scheme. i.e. The Web must
work like the Web is supposed to and have a mechanism to fill the gaps and
comment the two.

> - As for security and privacy, the sentences that mention "Supports a wide
> spectrum of security requirements and solutions" or similar should be
> reworded. Why a "wide spectrum"?. I consider that the security, privacy and
> regulatory issues have to be taken into in the development of an e-commerce
> website or e-payment solution. However, I consider that, e.g., the support
> of different authentication mechanisms is not part of the payment
> architecture. However, in the processes that are part of the payment
> process, for example, getting a payment offer, the payment architecture
> should define the mechanisms to protect this information. Then, I consider
> that in the bullet we could say that security, privacy and regulatory
> issues will be taken into account to design the different process of
> payment architecture that need to be securized.

Our intention is to propose an architecture and ultimately define some
standards. When it comes to regulation and security I think our approach is
to cater for everything we know is out there but not prescribe how
implementations are built. When it comes down to an implementer deploying a
solution in a specific jurisdiction subject to specific laws and
regulations they should not be restricted by the architecture in trying to
adhere to these. On the other hand the architecture should describe at what
points these issues come into scope and provide mechanisms to deal with
them so that we make the life of the implementer easier.