Re: The Payments Architecture within which a Web Payments Architecture occurs

On 05/14/2015 10:59 AM, Joseph Potvin wrote:
> The issue that I'm raising is that a "Payments Architecture" in
> general is orthogonal to the "Architecture of the World Wide Web".

Yes it is.

> Any architecture for "web mediated payments" needs to reference a
> Payments Architecture that is abstracted from whatever media are
> employed.

At a theoretical level, I agree with you.

At a practical level, where is this abstracted "Payments Architecture"
document that we can reference?

ISO20022 is the only thing that comes close, IMHO, and even that is
expressed as high-level Business Processes (which we intend to map to at
some point), and not an "Architecture".

> And any architecture for "web mediated e-commerce" needs to
> reference an Commerce Architecture that is abstracted from whatever
> media are employed.

Where is this "Commerce Architecture" documented?

Here's where I think consensus in the Web Payments IG is right now (but
don't take it as anything other than my personal opinion):

* Other groups exist that create Financial Industry standards as well
  as standards that affect the financial industry.
* Other groups exist that create laws that regulate the Financial
  Industry.
* The WPIG will liaise with those groups where it makes sense to do so.
  For example, we actively pursued a formal liaison relationship
  between the group and ISO as well as ANSI / X9 for the financial
  industry standards.
* The WPIG doesn't want to re-invent the wheel and will re-use existing
  standards where it makes sense to do so.
* The WPIG would like to avoid slowing the work down by requiring
  agreement across multiple standard setting organizations to make
  progress.

This is a balance and we're trying to get real work done on a
fantastically aggressive timeframe. We're supposed to be "done" with the
first cut of the architecture by September 2015.

Getting deeply involved in standards setting organizations that take a
decade per cycle is largely a non-starter. We re-use the work they have,
but have no hope of being able to steer the ISO/ITU ship on any time
frame that is relevant to the speed at which the Web moves.

I also don't think there is a single "Payments Architecture" document
out there that we could refer to, so I don't think what you're asking
for is possible. I may be wrong, and if I am, please point us to this
general "Payments Architecture" document.