Re: The Payments Architecture within which a Web Payments Architecture occurs

RE: "Getting deeply involved in standards setting organizations that take a
decade per cycle is largely a non-starter. We re-use the work they have,
but have no hope of being able to steer the ISO/ITU ship on any time
frame that is relevant to the speed at which the Web moves."

I understand what you mean (albeit your charicature is something of an
exaggeration, surely). I'm simply saying that AFAICT there's no need to try
to tweak or expand standards like OASIS/UBL, or the UNICTRAL WG-IV Model
Laws or the BIS/PFMI to accommodate anything and everything I've seen in
the past year of W3C WP goals discussion. Those standards are all good
enough. Just use them.   ...yes it is hard work.

What I am saying is that the W3C WP work would be (much!) simpler and
faster if this community would just off-load everthing that belongs to the
Ontology of Payments and that that of e-Commerce generally to the entities
that actually own those mandates, and (sorry to be boring!) stick to
knitting the Web.

RE: "At a practical level, where is this abstracted "Payments Architecture"
document that we can reference?

The business architecture is referenced in my previous email: "Principles
for Financial Market Infrastructures" from the Bank of International
Settlements http://www.bis.org/cpmi/info_pfmi.htm?m=3|16|598

Actually, it turns out to be convenient that the US Fed's "Faster Payments
Task Force" on 15-16 June meets immediately prior (indeed I'd say
"meaningfully overlapping" for a day) to the W3C WP IG's meeting of 16-18
June. Hopefully the FPTF meeting's outcomes will provide directly useful
input to the W3C meeting. That's the logically correct directionality:
business req's first, then technology.  Yes, of course technology is itself
a driver, but the people maintaining these global standards at UNICTRAL,
OASIS, BIS etc are hardly luddites.

Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations
The Opman Company | La compagnie Opman
jpotvin@opman.ca
Mobile: 819-593-5983

--