Re: decentralized wallets and payment processors

Wallets vs Accounts

I have come across very different definitions of a "wallet" both in this
group and amongst payments industry practitioners for some time. There
seems to be two camps. One sees the wallet as an account, simply a store of
value and the other as a virtual wallet that stores all the things one
normally stores in a physical wallet such as payment cards (ways to pay),
loyalty cards (ways to identity you as a member of some group), electronic
"cash" (which compares closely to the former definition).

I see no value in the first definition, this is simply an account.

To add, I think that a wallet shouldn't have too much built in "logic" or
"business rules" or it is no longer a wallet. My wallet in my pocket
doesn't execute payments autonomously.

I like the definition of a wallet as being the virtual version of the
physical thing. A place to store instruments that can be used to complete a
payment, which if you think about it are normally just credentials of some
form.

I also like the concept of a payment agent which the IG have started to
define in their architecture document. This is a service that acts as a
broker between an entity, it's wallet and/or accounts and other payment
agents. Under this model the wallet is a component of (or is interfaced to
by) the payment agent.

Thoughts?

Adrian