Re: decentralized wallets and payment processors

Anders,

While your numerous prophecies of the death of the browser vs the App may
prove to be correct I'm not sure that makes W3C standards redundant. I
acknowledge that a lot of what is discussed and standardised at the W3C
revolves around browsers, but these are not the only Web clients. In fact
in most cases mobile Apps are also HTTP clients using technology such as
REST (or similar) to communicate with the services they rely on.

I would encourage you to provide some constructive feedback on the proposed
architecture from the Web Payments IG and the idea of a payments agent,
which may or may not be built-in to a user agent and, which would use the
Web and Web technologies to interface with a distributed network of other
payments agents.

There is a great deal of work to be done in taking the various phases of a
payment (as defined in the use cases document) and defining standard
vocabularies, models, messages and protocols that would be executed between
one or more payment agents to complete a payment.

User access to their payment agent will only occasionally be through a
browser, it could easily be that the service that is acting as the payment
agent is sitting on a web server or is an App on a mobile device.. What I
believe we have consensus over is that the communications between these
agents will use Web technologies (existing or possibly new) which have been
standardized at the W3C.

It is also quite possible that if we are successful in getting widesperead
adoption of this architecture and associated protocols that the browser
vendors will be forced to incorporate this functionality into the browsers
or risk being dis-intermediated as you predict they will.

Looking forward to progressing on from the browsers are dead, the browser
vendors don't care, everyone wants apps so why do we bother discussion :)

Adrian